Thursday, December 4, 2014

Nostalgic Ornaments with Mercury Glass Beads, Tinsel & Holly

As expected, I've been working on new ornament designs for this year. While I try to come up with ideas early enough to be finished by October, the holiday season always spontaneously inspires more in me.

I've had loose mercury beads for several years, yet no project ever really presented itself. Then, completely out of the blue, I was admiring Laurie's (Magpie Ethel) mercury bead candy canes and suddenly I felt the need to use my beads.

So I had some fun mixing it up with 3mm tinsel stems, fluffy 1/2” tinsel trim, gorgeous millinery lacquered holly, darkened silver bells, and my favorite twine, Everlasto. Together, they made these.....



Fun, mini wreaths, as ornaments or gift package tie-ons, measuring just over 3” diameter.


I made some multicolored...


And some with only red and silver...



I darkened the fluffy tinsel with caramel and charcoal alcohol inks to mimic tarnished Lametta tinsel. A bright, new silver tinsel wouldn't gel as well with vintage mercury beads, but tinted fits perfectly. 



To me, the elements I used are all representative of the era of Christmas I grew up in. All these items could have easily been seen on the shelves of the 88 Cents Store or Rodgers. Oh, how I wish those stores still existed. Such fond childhood memories.....

Thank you for the inspiration, Ethel......:)




2 comments:

  1. Glad I could inspire and they turned out great. Loved your house in the previous post..your attention to detail is mind boggling...amazing crafting on your end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is the material list and how to instructions, I love these and would like to make them.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...